Plein Air Paint Out
September 24, 2016
En plein air (French pronunciation: [ɑ̃ plɛn ɛːʁ]), or plein air painting, is a phrase borrowed from the French equivalent meaning "open (in full) air". It is particularly used to describe the act of painting outdoors, also called French: peinture sur le motif ("painting of the object(s) or what the eye actually sees"), where a painter reproduces the actual visual conditions seen at the time of the painting. This method contrasts with studio painting or academic rules; those might create a predetermined look.
What: Four hour timed painting competition. Registration fee is $10
Who: Artists of all skill and experience levels. Artists ages 13-18 will be considered “Junior” level participants and eligible for the “Junior Award”
Where: Washington Road Business District in Mt. Lebanon (see boundaries below). The registration table will be at the Artists’ Market tent in the PNC Parking lot at 14 Academy Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15228
When: Saturday, September 24th from 12:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. Awards will take place at 6:00pm.
1. MATERIALS: Paint Out participants are required to bring all materials necessary for their work to be completed (canvas, paint, water, brushes, easel, etc.). Participants are also strongly encouraged to bring an umbrella large enough to cover your work area.
2. CANVAS: Each painting MUST be on Canvas. The size of the canvas must be 8”x11” or 11”x14” max.
3. BOUNDARIES: The geographic boundaries of the Paint Out are: SEE MAP
4. SET UP: Artists may choose their site and set up their equipment before the competition officially begins at 12:00 p.m.
5. BEGIN PAINTING: At 12:00 p.m. the artists begin to create their artwork. The artist must start with nothing pre-painted, pre-drawn or pre-sculpted and create their artwork ONLY during the Paint Out timeframe. If these rules are violated, the participant will be banned from future events.
6. STOP PAINTING All artists must stop painting and finish their artwork by 4:00 p.m.
7. Exhibit and Judging: At 4:00 p.m., all artists bring their completed work and their easels to the Artists’ Market tent in the PNC Parking lot at 14 Academy Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15228. Event staff will assist participants in setting up their easels for the Paint Out Exhibit. Judging begins at 4:00 p.m., with prizes awarded by 6:00pm. All artwork may remain until the conclusion of the Artists’ Market at 5:00pm on Sunday, September 25th. All artwork and easels must be picked up. Any artwork and easels that are not claimed by 5:00pm will be donated.
8. SALE: Each piece of Paint Out artwork must include artist’s name, artist’s cell phone number, title and price on the back of the canvas.
First prize $150
Second Prize $100
Third prize $50
Junior prize (18 and under) $50